Why buy store-bought tortillas with tons of ingredients you can’t even pronounce when you can make your own (adapted from the recipe at Sheknows.com) in as short as 30 minutes?
All you need is:
- 2-3/4 cups of Organic All-Purpose Flour
- 5 Tbs Softened Butter (or 2-1/2 Tbs chia gel*)
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 Cup warm water
- Mix the flour and the salt in a medium to large bowl.
- Add the butter and mix with your hands until there are no more lumps.
- Add the warm tap water and mix with either a pastry mixer or your hands until a dough is formed.
- Knead the dough for about 10 minutes until it feels smooth.
- Separate the dough into about 8 equal pieces and form into balls.
- Cover in a bowl or place in a plastic bag and let rest for at least 20 minutes.
- Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Roll out each ball into a flat tortilla and cook for about 30 seconds to a minute on each side. You will know when to flip by the appearance of browning and bubbles.
- Place the cooked tortillas on a plate and cover with foil. They will soften after a few minutes.
- Stuff them with your favorite ingredients, roll, and enjoy!
*I like to use chia gel instead of butter when I feel like being especially health conscious. To make chia gel, place 2 Tbs of chia seeds in a cup of water and let sit for at least 10 minutes in the refrigerator. If you do substitute chia gel for butter, use 2-1/2 TBS of chia gel. You may substitute chia gel in any recipe and the rule of thumb is to use half the amount of whatever the recipe originally calls for. A word of caution, though – tortillas made with chia gel are a little drier than those made with butter.